EPA cleans up mercury spilled in Indiana home

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

ELWOOD, Ind. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it's cleaned up toxic mercury that was spilled in an Indiana home.

Authorities say the liquid metal was spilled by the new owners of a home in Elwood as they were cleaning out a garage.

The Herald Bulletin reports (http://bit.ly/13Bi3jV ) police found that the previous owner had collected the hazardous substance from old factories and forgot to dispose of it when he moved. The garage stood vacant for 20 years until the mercury was discovered.

Elwood police say mercury isn't legal to purchase in such large amounts and can be used as an accelerant in homemade bombs. However, they don't think the collector had any such intentions.

Police say the home is now safe and the new owners have moved in.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 214488301