Details of Saturday's shooting on North Olive

More Video...

Michael Gillam’s SUV has been parked outside of Percy’s Heating and Air-conditioning Repair since Saturday night when he was shot and killed. Early on Monday, the SUV could be seen with flowers and writing all over it. The notes were from the many family and friends who stopped at the make-shift memorial to pay their final respects.

The events of Saturday night were a little confusing for police at first, but after the alleged shooter turned himself in, things became a little clearer.

Police were dispatched to a call on the 200 block of North Olive St. on July 5th around 11:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found Gillam lying next to a pool table. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Michael Taylor, 55, turned himself in hours later and, upon hearing his Miranda rights, admitted to shooting Michael Gillam.

According to Taylor in a police affidavit, earlier in the day he was gambling at Wiz’s Car Wash, located across the street from Percy’s Heating and Air-conditioning Repair. Taylor was robbed by a fellow player, named Alphonso, who had also robbed him on a previous occasion. This event caused Taylor to become extremely angry and he retrieved a handgun he had recently purchased. He began driving around South Bend “thinking.”

This led Taylor to Percy’s Heating and Air-conditioning Repair. Taylor said in the affidavit, that he saw a different person inside who had previously robbed him.

He entered Percy’s and said to the person, “You’re the [expletive] who robbed me.”

Taylor then hit the individual with his handgun and he claims the gun discharged twice, striking Gillam in the chest.

Taylor told police he and Gillam were friends however he also admitted that he did not attempt to help Gillam after he shot him.

Taylor also admitted to police that he threw the gun out of his car while driving. However, he refused to tell officers where he threw out the gun.

Taylor is considered a habitual offender since he has two prior unrelated felony convictions. On December 8th, 1986 he was convicted of felony robbery and sentenced to 10 years. Then, on September 5th, 1995 he was convicted of Possession of a Handgun without a License and was sentenced to three years.

Now Taylor faces charges of Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Serious Violent Felon and Murder.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email:
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 266313721 -
Gray Television, Inc.