Cigarette causes house fire in Elkhart

By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email

Investigators say an Elkhart house fire may have been caused by a smoldering cigarette butt.

The fire started at a house located at Osolo Rd. and Grover St. in Elkhart, just before 12 p.m. on Wednesday,

The fire started in the basement and spread to the first floor, incurring an estimated $10,000 in damage. Officials say dogs were inside the home when the blaze broke out, but were all able to escape unharmed.

Now, the Red Cross is providing food, lodging and clothing for the family who lived in the house as the investigation continues.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 189254251 - wndu.com/a?a=189254251
Gray Television, Inc.