Chimney buildup causes house fire in Penn Twp.

Chimney buildup caused a Penn Twp. home to catch fire early Sunday morning.

The Penn Twp. Fire Department arrived to a home near Vistula and Crescent to find heavy fire and smoke coming from the front of the house and the chimney.

Residents had been evacuated from the house by the St. Joseph County Police Department before firefighters arrived.

The fire department said it initiated a “quick hit” to stop the fire coming from the front of the home, and then moved inside the tackle the blaze. Within 20 minutes the fire was brought under control but the damage done to the house was fairly extensive.

Officials estimate $50,000 worth of structural damage, and $25,000 of content damage was incurred during the fire.

Firefighters say the fire appeared to have been started due to a creosote buildup in the fireplace.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187670361 - wndu.com/a?a=187670361