State health officials have identified a case of typhoid fever in a food handler at Purdue University.
They say anyone who ate at the Boiler Bistro, John Purdue Room or the coffee shop Lavazza on the West Lafayette campus Jan. 23-25 might be at risk.
Symptoms include high fever, weakness, stomach pains, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and sometimes a rose-colored rash. Anyone experiencing such symptoms should see a health care provider immediately. Symptoms typically start eight to 14 days after exposure.
Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the salmonella bacteria. Officials believe the food handler at Purdue acquired the illness while travelling abroad. The bacteria can be transmitted through contaminated food or drink.