Burn center urges caution when handling fireworks

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

An Indianapolis burn center is urging Hoosiers to be cautious when they use fireworks this summer.

The Richard Fairbanks Burn Center at Wishard Memorial Hospital
says bottle rockets, firecrackers and even sparklers can be dangerous if they aren't handled carefully.

Wishard says sparklers burn at around 1,800 degrees and account for about a tenth of all injuries from fireworks.

The doctors warn people not to re-light duds or experiment with
homemade fireworks, and to make sure only adults handle fireworks.
They also say people lighting fireworks should keep water on hand.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says nearly 10,000
firework-related injuries are treated annually in U.S. emergency
rooms, mostly in June and July.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 159839225 - wndu.com/a?a=159839225
Gray Television, Inc.