A basement fire in Mishawka Friday afternoon may not have caused any injuries but did significant damage to the property which housed the flames.
The small house fire started in the basement of a home located directly across the street from Mishawaka High School. Smoke from the lower level blaze traveled upstairs through the home’s air vents.
Emergency responders arrived at the scene within minutes after the family of three made the 9-1-1 call.
Yvonne Parker had just started a load of laundry when she smelled the smoke coming up from the basement, “I seen it, ran down stairs and called 9-1-1. I got out of the house as soon as possible."
According to Parker, "the smoke was coming up from the bathroom because below is the basement. It was coming up and I knew it was coming from the basement. And I just started the dryer. I went downstairs and seen the flames, ran upstairs and called 9-1-1."
The fire was put out and no injuries were reported, but damage was done to the dryer and the ceiling of the basement.