COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. Authorities evacuated an eight-block area of a northeastern Indiana city as firefighters fought a chemical fire at a metal-plating operation.
Residents in the Columbia City neighborhood were allowed to return home about 4 p.m. Friday after the fire at C&R Plating Corp. was extinguished. The fire about was reported about 1 p.m.
Officials identified the chemical involved as sodium hydrosulfite, which can irritate breathing, skin and eyes. Residents six blocks away were asked to shut their windows and turn off their air conditioners.
The Journal Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/116nPaN ) a company employee was treated at a hospital after inhaling fumes, and some police officers were treated for skin irritation. All were later released.
The company's website says it does nickel plating, and other finishing processes.