A possible chemical spill has sickened some people at an Indianapolis pool, and local news reports indicated as many as 17 people have been taken to hospitals for treatment.
The incident occurred Thursday at the Garfield Aquatics Center on the city's south side. Scores of people were at the center at the time.
The Indianapolis Star reports at least 17 people in fair condition at local hospitals.
Indianapolis Fire Department spokesman Derrick Seyles tells the Star a chemical used to purify water spilled into the pool just before 2 p.m.
He says children and other were overcome by the effects of the chemical and experienced symptoms including coughing and vomiting.
Shari Patton, who had three children at the center, described the spill as "one big acid explosion of chlorine."