He’s being called a hero and he isn’t even ten yet. Logan Nunez sprung into action when his great grandmother passed out last week – and ended up saving her life.
“My mom was panicking and I told her to call 911 and she did and I did rescue breaths on her,” said the 9-year-old.
Logan learned how to perform rescue breaths months before, when the Elkhart County chapter of the American Red Cross came to his school on Nov. 28 and gave all the fourth graders basic aid training. It’s a lesson he never thought he’d have to apply to real life.
“She was going to die,” he said. “That's the only thing that went through my head.”
But Logan didn’t panic knowing his great grandmother’s life depended on his tiny lungs.
“You just calm down, do the rescue breaths and just wait for 911 to get there,” he said.
Shortly after Logan started the breaths, his great grandmother started to cough and was breathing on her own. She was taken to the hospital by ambulance, but has since come home.
“She said ‘Oh thank you for helping me, thank you for letting me live, Logan,’” he said.
But Logan doesn’t want any credit or much attention. After being brave enough to do what some adults wouldn’t know to do, all he wants is to celebrate his great grandma’s 80th birthday on Friday – a birthday she might not have made it to without Logan.
“It makes me feel great a lot,” he said. “”Cause you just saved your grandmother’s life. I love her.”
Logan says he doesn’t feel like a hero, but his family feels differently. They’re still in awe of his quick-thinking and bravery.
He’s not the only kid who’s used Basic Aid Training to save a life. A few weeks a girl from Middlebury gave her brother the Heimlich maneuver when he choked on a piece of meat at a restaurant.