Officials estimate millions in damage to South Bend meat warehouse

By: NewsCenter 16 Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Email

Investigators say a malfunctioning cooling system may have been what sparked a fire over the weekend at a meat storage warehouse in South Bend.

The blaze broke out on Saturday morning at Plumrose USA at the corner of West Ewing and South Main Street.

Fire crews found flames and smoke engulfing the plant and a hazmat alarm was issued because of the refrigerator coolant and ammonia inside.

Nearby homes and business were evacuated and traffic was blocked as a precautionary measure.

Investigators Tuesday said the fire started in a mechanical room, but have yet to make a final ruling on the cause.

The blaze was contained to just one room in the facility. But damage is estimated at $50,000 to the building and $4 million to its contents.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 181043951