Investigators say a malfunctioning cooling system may have been what sparked a fire over the weekend at a meat storage warehouse in South Bend.
The blaze broke out on Saturday morning at Plumrose USA at the corner of West Ewing and South Main Street.
Fire crews found flames and smoke engulfing the plant and a hazmat alarm was issued because of the refrigerator coolant and ammonia inside.
Nearby homes and business were evacuated and traffic was blocked as a precautionary measure.
Investigators Tuesday said the fire started in a mechanical room, but have yet to make a final ruling on the cause.
The blaze was contained to just one room in the facility. But damage is estimated at $50,000 to the building and $4 million to its contents.