A Niles family is doing everything they can to get back on their feet after a weekend fire left their home unlivable.
The fire happened early Sunday morning in the 2700 block of Reynolds Road.
Firefighters were called out around 5 a.m. for an attic fire but returned seven hours later because insulation was smoking.
Fire officials believe this was an electrical fire causing about $50,000 worth of damage. The family was able to get out safely and get all of their pets out just fine. But, this is a family that has spent their lives constantly helping others and now they need a little help of their own.
“My wife and I have been married for 20 years and out of that 20 years there’s probably been at least 18 of it that we have had other people living with us,” says homeowner Bill Demler.
This house quickly became a home for Bill and his wife Sherry, their two kids, another kid they've taken in, and Bill's best man.
“And we do all of this on just one income and money is tight week after week and when you turn around and have it be where it is, something like this happens, its pretty devastating and overwhelming,” Demler continues.
It’s an overwhelming situation when a fire is to blame for $50,000 worth of damage when you don’t have insurance. But, that didn’t stop this family from fighting the heat Wednesday, doing everything they can to get back on their feet.
Thanks to the Red Cross they were able to stay in a hotel for three days but those days have run out. After scraping money together the Demler's say they were able to pay for 3 more days, but come Saturday, the comfort of having a roof over their head will be gone.
This family needs everything including, money, manual labor, wood, nails, insulation, drywall anything you would need in your home they would need. Anyone wanting to donate can send money or other items to:
Hope United Methodist Church
69941 Elkhart Road, P.O Box 624
Edwardsburg, Michigan 49112
Just write Demler Family in the memo.