A hotel was evacuated and part of a busy road shut down Sunday afternoon after an accident led to a gas leak near Notre Dame.
A motorcyclist was pulling out of the Belmont Beverage parking lot on Edison Rd. at about 2 p.m., when he accelerated too quickly and lost control of his bike.
Police say the driver ran into the Ivy Court Inn and Suites with his motorcycle, knocking the gas meter off the building.
The hotel was evacuated as a precaution, and officers closed Edison from Twyckenham Dr. to South Bend Ave. as NIPSCO crews worked to contained the leak.
Witnesses say the crash could have been a lot worse.
"I was just hoping that it wasn't really bad,” said one witness, Jodi Montbriand. “When we got over there and saw they were wearing helmets, that's what saved their lives. So thank god they had those on."
The driver was alert and conscious as he was taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries, and the passenger riding on the bike was not hurt.
Police reopened the road about an hour later at 3 p.m..