Six people are safe after a fire tore through their Elkhart home Sunday night.
It happened at about 7:15 p.m. in the 400 block of Jackson Place.
Crews tell us that the fire began on the back porch, trapping some of the residents inside, causing them to jump from the second story windows.
Fortunately, fire fighters were able to get the blaze under control before it damaged the home next door.
“Make sure the smoke detectors work,” said Wes Johnson, Elkhart Battalion Chief. “The occupants alerted the other occupants and everyone was able to get out, maybe not by the best means but they were able to escape.”
Chief Johnson tells NewsCenter 16 that even though some residents did jump, all six people who were in the house are doing fine tonight and refused medical treatment.