Lightning knocks homeowner to ground before fire

MARSHALL COUNTY A family home caught fire in Marshall County during Wednesday night’s storms. It was likely started by lightning.

Around midnight, the homeowner went out to a shed in the 12600 of State Road 17 near Plymouth.

A family member tells NewsCenter 16 the owner was going to start a generator because electricity was flickering in the house. That's when the lightning bolt struck, knocking both him and his wife over.

The blaze got intense for a while, forcing firemen to evacuate the home.

Fortunately no one was injured and the fire was mostly out before 2a.m.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email:
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 224356171 -
Gray Television, Inc.