Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says it's too soon to draw any broad conclusions about safety at U.S. military bases after the deadly shootings at Fort Hood, Texas.
He said Thursday that as the investigation unfolds, the Pentagon will continue to take a close look at any new lessons that can be learned from Wednesday's tragedy and implement any needed changes to base security.
He said the Defense Department has implemented changes after other shootings, including the 2009 massacre at Fort Hood and last year's shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. He said the safety of the troops was a priority for defense leaders and commanders.
He said that while one incident was too many, the U.S. has a lot of bases around the world and they are safe places.