Fire starts in bathroom of Elkhart home

A fire on 6th St. in Elkhart kept firefighters busy Wednesday morning.

At around 11:00 a.m. firefighters were called to a two-story home located on the 100 block of North 6th St., when they arrived they saw smoke billowing from the first floor.

Crews battling the blaze had to break windows and put holes into the walls in order to ventilate the heavy smoke. When they entered the home they discovered that the fire in the bathroom on the first floor.

Firefighters say the fire was under control by 11:10 a.m. and was extinguished shortly thereafter.

No one was hurt in the blaze, but the homeowner says there was significant damage done. The department’s battalion chief said the family of four will displaced from their home for some time, but the Red Cross did show up to offer assistance.

Officials say that cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email:
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 195685851 -
Gray Television, Inc.