Family pet dies in apartment fire in Granger

A Granger family is mourning the loss of their beloved pet after a fire broke out inside their apartment Thursday afternoon.

It happened just after 2:30 in the 6400 block of Summer Place Drive East, that's in the Summer Place Apartment Complex.

Family members tell NewsCenter 16 they believe a short in a lamp cord sparked the blaze, which spread to a mattress in the bedroom of the first floor unit.

The family dog, a Maltese Shih Tzu mix named Lil'lee, was the only one home at the time. When one of the tenants returned from work, the apartment was filled with smoke, with Lil'lee still inside.

Firefighters tried to resuscitate the dog that was not even a year old yet, but she died of smoke inhalation. No one else was hurt, and crews put out the flames before they could spread to other units.

The apartment and most of its contents sustained heavy smoke damage, but thankfully the family does have renters insurance.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 202607481 - wndu.com/a?a=202607481
Gray Television, Inc.