While temperatures have cooled down, two heat-related deaths over the weekend prove how dangerous the heat can be.
The Elkhart County coroner say two people died of hyperthermia because of the recent heat wave.
On Friday night, police found 84-year-old Kathleen Hyre dead inside her home on West Lusher.
It was 98 degrees inside because the home wasn't air conditioned.
Hyre's core temperature had reached 104 degrees.
Less than 24 hours later, 45-year-old Michael Bowen was found dead in an upstairs room of an old home.
His roommates say the home had two air conditioning units, but the cool air didn't flow well into his room.
"I went up there two days before and he asked me to close the window for him because he said he was getting hot and I thought he looked weak," said Bowen's roommate Levi Sparks.
Bowen was morbidly obese, which the coroner says also contributed to his death.
While his roommates noticed he seemed bothered by the heat, Bowen insisted he was OK.
That's why the American Red Cross says it's important to know the warning signs of heat-related illnesses.
"They'll feel very fatigued, very weak," said Doug Farmwald, Emergency Services Coordinator with the Elkhart County Red Cross. "Often they will become nauseated and possibly vomit. If it's heat exhaustion, which is the first stage, skin will be cool to the touch, but sweating profusely."
Farmwald says people showing symptoms need to drink water and get to a cool place.
If they don't have air conditioning, he says there are plenty of places folks can go to keep cool.
"Go to Walmart, go to Meijer, go to the library," he said. "There are plenty of places to go that are public that you don't have to spend money."