Elkhart man injured in apartment fire

An Elkhart man is recovering in the hospital Saturday night after a blaze broke out inside his apartment.

It happened around 4:30 Saturday afternoon in the 1500 block of Locust Street at the Avalon Woods Apartment Complex, that's on the city's north side.

Investigators say it started in the kitchen after some cooking oil caught fire.

The smoke and flames spread into the living room, eventually destroying everything inside, and causing damage to 25 percent of the building.

The lone occupant in the unit, Charles Wagner, was helped down from the second floor balcony by a passerby, Adam Smith, who thankfully came to his aid.

He was taken to the hospital to be treated for burns he suffered on his hand and body.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 184581801 - wndu.com/a?a=184581801