A dry field and smoldering cigarette are believed to have caused a Mishawaka field fire on Sunday, less than 24 hours after firefighters put another field fire out.
The blaze broke out just after 1 p.m. on Sunday 1100 block of Douglas Rd. on St. Joseph County's far east side.
Firefighters from Clay and Penn Townships arrived to find flames waist-high and quickly spreading to a nearby barn.
With no fire hydrants in sight, tankers were called in to fill-up brush trucks, which then canvassed the 10-acre field.
The homeowner told fire crews he had been smoking a cigarette only minutes before his yard caught fire.
St. Joseph county officials are reminding residents to remain mindful of the burn ban that is still in effect.