Cigarette believed to be the cause for Mishawaka field fire

A dry field and smoldering cigarette are believed to have caused a Mishawaka field fire on Sunday, less than 24 hours after firefighters put another field fire out.

The blaze broke out just after 1 p.m. on Sunday 1100 block of Douglas Rd. on St. Joseph County's far east side.

Firefighters from Clay and Penn Townships arrived to find flames waist-high and quickly spreading to a nearby barn.

With no fire hydrants in sight, tankers were called in to fill-up brush trucks, which then canvassed the 10-acre field.

The homeowner told fire crews he had been smoking a cigarette only minutes before his yard caught fire.

St. Joseph county officials are reminding residents to remain mindful of the burn ban that is still in effect.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email:
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 162533696 -