What was originally reported as a serious gas leak in Goshen Friday morning, turned out to be a chemical leak after a truck's routine cleaning.
"That's kind of what it smelled like, just a natural gas leak," says Travis Handshoe, a contractor for Benteler.
The leak's odor was so strong 24 people were taken to the hospital.
The fire department believes with the strong odor and high winds, it easily spread in Goshen's Industrial Park on the city's south side.
Around 9 a.m. the Goshen's Fire Deparment says a subcontractor was pumping sludge, or waste oil, when the chemical was released. It's believed it happened because the truck was cleaned recently.
The smell was so strong workers throughout the park could smell it, especially employees across the street at Flair Interiors.
People taken to the hospital were complaining of nausea, headache, and difficulty breathing.
"The chemicals used to the clean the truck were non-toxic, so that's one of the things were are going to follow-up with," says Goshen Assistant Fire Chief Jim Ramer.
Most employees at Benteler were sent home for the rest of the day.
All of the people at the hospital were treated and released immediately.