Basement blaze starts in dryer, damaging Mishawaka home

By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email

A basement fire in Mishawka Friday afternoon may not have caused any injuries but did significant damage to the property which housed the flames.

The small house fire started in the basement of a home located directly across the street from Mishawaka High School. Smoke from the lower level blaze traveled upstairs through the home’s air vents.

Emergency responders arrived at the scene within minutes after the family of three made the 9-1-1 call.

Yvonne Parker had just started a load of laundry when she smelled the smoke coming up from the basement, “I seen it, ran down stairs and called 9-1-1. I got out of the house as soon as possible."

According to Parker, "the smoke was coming up from the bathroom because below is the basement. It was coming up and I knew it was coming from the basement. And I just started the dryer. I went downstairs and seen the flames, ran upstairs and called 9-1-1."

The fire was put out and no injuries were reported, but damage was done to the dryer and the ceiling of the basement.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 200675891 - wndu.com/a?a=200675891
Gray Television, Inc.