Stove starts Park Jefferson apartment fire

By: News Center 16 Staff Email
By: News Center 16 Staff Email

Residents of a South Bend apartment complex are cleaning up after a fire Sunday night.

It happened around 10 p.m. at the Park Jefferson apartments.

When crews arrived on the scene, they found smoke and flames coming from an apartment's kitchen.

Investigators concluded the fire started in a pan on the stove.

Occupants from seven apartments were temporarily relocated.

"We don't car where it is, we don't care how many times. Things just happen and when they happen that's why we're trained to act in a prudent manner to make sure we're ready to go, doing the things we need to do. Our lives are safe and the ones were going to protect are safe as well," says Battalion Chief Carl Buchanon of the South Bend Fire Department.

Units in the Park Jefferson complex have started on fire at least five times in the last five years.

In January of this year, 40 units were damaged from a fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 159394655 - wndu.com/a?a=159394655
Gray Television, Inc.