Fulton County standoff ends after suspect shoots at police

A police standoff in the small town of Fulton ended around midnight Wednesday, with the suspect being airlifted from the area.

Indiana State Police confirm the suspect, Nicholas Westerhoff, 46, emerged from his trailer in the 300 block of W. Brown Street around midnight Wednesday and fired shots at police. Police fired back, and Westerhoff was then airlifted to a hospital in Fort Wayne with gunshot wounds.

The standoff began around 8:14 p.m. Wednesday as a domestic dispute. The argument spilled into the yard before Westerhoff apparently fired shots into the air and the woman fled.

Officers arrived on the scene to find Westerhoff held-up inside the rear master bedroom of his home with a 12-gauge shotgun and two handguns.

Because of the severity of the situation, the Indiana State Police's Emergency Response Team, essentially a SWAT unit, was dispatched to assist.

Around 10 p.m., hostage negotiators had arrived. Although their means of communication with the man is unknown, he was last heard telling police he would not leave the house alive.

"He could be charged with disorderly conduct, firing a weapon, there may be a battery charge," Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley says. "It depends what happened between him and the lady friend. We'll just have to see what all went on there."

Indiana State Police confirm the suspect emerged from the home around midnight. He began to shoot at police, who fired back. The suspect was airlifted from the scene to a Fort Wayne hospital with gunshot wounds, and is now in critical condition.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 200351661 - wndu.com/a?a=200351661
Gray Television, Inc.