Faulty dryer causes apartment fire, residents escape safely

By: NewsCenter 16 Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Email

A dryer malfunction appears to be to blame for a blaze that broke out at an Elkhart apartment complex Monday night.

The fire started shortly before 9 p.m. inside a first floor unit at the Washington Gardens Apartments, on the city's south side.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the front window.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the kitchen, laundry room and living room, but not before it caused extensive damage to the first floor.

It is estimated that there is $3,000 in damage. All three occupants escaped safely and no one was injured.

Those living in the unit say they did not hear any smoke detectors go off. Firefighters, however, did report hearing the detectors, and investigators say they saw several in the area.

None of the occupants had renter's insurance.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174432681