St. Joe, MI family reunites with pro golfer at Senior PGA Championship

30 years after playing in the Western Amateur at Point O'Woods, professional golfer Andrew Magee returned to Southwest Michigan this week to play in his first Senior PGA Tour event. He turned 50 on Tuesday, the age requirement for the Champions Tour.

Magee knew it would be a cool start to his senior career, teeing off with the Senior PGA Championship at Harbor Shores. But he had no idea how special this week would be.

The week began with a return to Point O'Woods for a Pro-Am on Monday. While there, Magee ran into a surprise.

"I asked one of the girls there where Andrew is and she told me, 'he's over there in the cart, ready to tee off on 17.' So I went over there. He turned around and said, 'I know you!'" explains St. Joe resident Bob Gerbel.

The Gerbels are the family Magee stayed with during the Western Amateur three decades ago. They hadn't seen each other since. And now it was just like old times.

"After I saw Bob, I came back out to [Harbor Shores] and I went back to my locker and I had a note from Nancy, one of his daughters," Magee explained.

The note from Nancy Kodis was inviting Andrew to stay with her family. She was a college student like Magee when he was playing in the Western Am.

"I'll be there in three hours!" Magee immediately told Nancy.

"it was a blessing in disguise because I was not happy where I was staying," Magee explains. "Driving a big silver Mercedes. I think I was the only car parked at that particular motel so, I was a little scared."

"Andrew's Just one of the family this week. It's great," Gerbel says.

Magee couldn't have asked for a better week.

"The cooking has been incredible," Magee says. "I don't know where I would have eaten. Of course, it's all free, so I'm saving some money on my first senior tour tournament, so it's really been a blessing and they absolutely made my Western Amateur for me 30 years ago and they made my debut at the Champions Tour also for me this week."

Magee didn't get to enjoy his day with the Gerbels and Kodis families too much however. After finishing around 1pm at 5-over par for his two rounds, Magee had to 'sweat' out the cut line.

By 8pm, Magee finally learned he made it to the weekend, barely. The cut line was +5, meaning had Magee had one more poor shot on Thursday or Friday, he wouldn't have made it to Saturday.

Now he gets to spend a couple more days with his 2nd family.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email:
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 154322775 -
Gray Television, Inc.