Wilk may have slept while her boys got stuck in car trunk

From cell phone records to blood tests, the life of Jacqueline Wilk is being put under the microscope in court this week.

Wilk is on trial for felony neglect in connection with the deaths of her two young sons outside their New Carlisle home in June of 2011.

Two year old Isaac Dunner, Jr. and four year old Dominick Wilk died of overexposure to heat after locking themselves in the trunk of a car.

This isn’t your stereotypical neglect case.

Blood test results revealed that Jacqueline Wilk wasn’t intoxicated on the day in question, and that she did not have drugs in her system.

The autopsy showed that that the boys were well fed, and that Isaac and Dominick had no suspicious bruises or marks that were unrelated to the trunk incident.

Today, the first officer on the scene testified that Isaac was unresponsive but Dominick was still “gasping for air,” and was hot to the touch.

The 9-1-1 call came in at 2:58 p.m. on June 17th, 2011.

Nonetheless, the two year old was pronounced dead at the hospital at 3:26 p.m. The four year old died at 11:30 a.m. on June 18th.
The officer also claimed he heard Wilk say that she had been looking for the boys for “about an hour” before finding them in the trunk.

Although Wilk lived with her mother and step-father, testimony shows that she was alone with the boys starting at about 9:00 a.m.

The lead investigator in the case testified that Wilk told him she may have been studying and she may have been sleeping when she lost track of the boys.

Police who searched the home stressed that they failed to find the alleged ‘radiology textbook’ that Wilk spoke of reading that day.

Wilk’s cell phone records appear to show that she was awake at 11:30 a.m. that day when she made an outgoing call, and at 2:04 p.m. when she sent a text message.

The records show that Wilk called 9-1-1 from a land line inside the home at 2:56 p.m.

On Wednesday, jurors should learn a lot more about Wilk’s version of events as a recorded statement she gave to police on June 21, 2011 will be played in court.

That statement lasts about an hour and a half.

As for how long the two boys were trapped inside the trunk the day they suffered fatal heat exposure, the medical examiner said there was simply no scientific way to tell. However, Dr. Joseph Prahlow guessed it ranged between 15 minutes and an hour.

Prahlow did find bruises and scratches on the boys’ faces, arms and fingers, that could have come from trying to escape from the trunk.

Police testimony also indicates that blood was found on the inside of the trunk lid.

The car in question was a 2000 Chevrolet that did not have a “panic bar,” or a device designed to open the trunk from the inside.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 189920021 - wndu.com/a?a=189920021
Gray Television, Inc.