Tony Stewart sitting out NASCAR race at Michigan after dirt-car death

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press
Tony Stewart says he will not race Sunday at Michigan International Speedway, skipping a second straight NASCAR Sprint Cup race since striking and killing a driver in a dirt-track race at a small New York track.

MGN Online

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Tony Stewart says he will not race Sunday at Michigan International Speedway, skipping a second straight NASCAR Sprint Cup race since striking and killing a driver in a dirt-track race at a small New York track.

Stewart announced the decision Thursday. His plans for the rest of the season have not been determined. Stewart was originally scheduled to be at the Newton Center in Lakeville for an autograph session Thursday. He cancelled that appearance earlier in the week and also elected not to race at Plymouth Speedway Saturday.

Jeff Burton will drive Stewart's No. 14 Chevrolet in Michigan.

Stewart also sat out Sunday at Watkins Glen, a day after he struck and killed Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car event in Canandaigua, New York. After Stewart clipped Ward's car, sending it spinning, Ward got out of the car during the caution period, walked down the track and was hit by Stewart.

Ward's funeral was Thursday in Boonville, New York.

Stewart's dirt-racing career is on hold, and he could face criminal charges.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 271306951 - wndu.com/a?a=271306951
Gray Television, Inc.