A South Bend family is safe after their home in the 1000-block of North Lawndale Ave. caught fire Sunday evening.
The South Bend Fire Department responded to a call just after 7 p.m. for a fire at the two-story house. By the time they arrived, the family was safely outside and the fire had already been put out.
Fire crews made sure there were no lingering flames and cleared the area of smoke. They reported that the fire started in a first-floor kitchen, as the result of an unattended stove.
Total damage to the house was estimated to be about $5,000, but no injuries were reported.