South Bend family safe after cooking fire

A South Bend family is safe after their home in the 1000-block of North Lawndale Ave. caught fire Sunday evening.

The South Bend Fire Department responded to a call just after 7 p.m. for a fire at the two-story house. By the time they arrived, the family was safely outside and the fire had already been put out.

Fire crews made sure there were no lingering flames and cleared the area of smoke. They reported that the fire started in a first-floor kitchen, as the result of an unattended stove.

Total damage to the house was estimated to be about $5,000, but no injuries were reported.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173058351