"Safe Sleep" practices re-iterated after 4-month-old dies of suffocation while sleeping with mother

Recently a 4-month-old South Bend baby died after police say the mother accidentally fell asleep with the baby in her own bed. Autopsy results show the infant suffocated.

Despite awareness campaigns, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is the leading causing death among infants.

There are parenting classes offered in the area to teach pregnant mothers about how to properly put a baby down.

Michelle Griffin from the Minority Health Coalition runs an educational series called Stork's Nest, a parenting class for pregnant moms, with one class focusing on what's called "safe- sleep."

Nearly 5 thousand babies die each year from suffocation, 90 % of which could have been prevented by putting babies in their cribs and on their backs.

“If you have a baby and want the baby to be close to you, you could put the crib close to your bed so you can be close to the baby,” says Michelle Griffin, from the Minority Health Coalition.

The Stork's Nest also reminds parents not to place any items in the crib like stuffed animals or large pillows. The baby just needs to be sleeping on a firm mattress that is covered with a tight fitting crib sheet.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 171852291