SYRACUSE, Ind. -- A 12-year-old Syracuse boy was found dead inside his home Saturday.
Just after 3:45 p.m., police responded to call regarding a boy not breathing in 200 block of West Washington Street.
Investigators soon determined Skyler Spore had died.
Spore’s parents, Darrick Spore and Candy Chamness, and another child were at the home when police arrived.
At the time of Spore’s death, there were two gas powered generators running inside the home. The cause of death is pending toxicology tests but "appears to be consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning."
An autopsy was conducted at the Northeast Forensic Center in Fort Wayne.
Syracuse Chief of Police Anthony W. Ciriello released the following statement on July 1:
On June 28, 2014 Skyler Spore was found dead inside a residence 202 W. Washington Street in Syracuse. An autopsy was conducted by the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office through the Northeast Forensic Center in Fort Wayne. The cause of death for Skyler Spore is pending toxicology tests but appears to be consistent with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
While the death is consistent with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning a final determination will be made after the toxicology tests are completed which could take a few weeks.
The investigation into all circumstances regarding the death is still ongoing. The use of the gas powered generators appears to be the primary source of the carbon monoxide poisoning.
A final cause and manner of death will be released by the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office when all test results are provided to them
The Syracuse Police Department, Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office, Department of Child Services and the Kosciusko Major Crimes Task Force are investigating this case.