In addition to two fires, firefighters responded to a gas leak at South Main St. and Walter on Wednesday morning.
At around 10:30 a.m. the fire department and NIPSCO were called to address the leak, and left a small section of Main St. closed while repairs were done.
A construction crew was clearing a field nearby for an upcoming project when they accidentally struck an old gas line. And although there was no fire, the South Bend Fire Dept. remained on scene for precautionary reasons.
None of the buildings in the area needed to be evacuated and the leak was contained within a few hours.