According to a TripAdvisor survey, 74% of Americans traveling over the Memorial Day weekend holiday will drive to their destination, even with high prices at the pump.
Newscenter 16 talked to a local economist about how gas prices determine travel plans.
Another thing to keep in mind, summer construction is under way, so before hitting the road, take into consideration the following road closures:
St. Joseph County
• SR 23, South Bend – Road closed between the Five Points Intersection (Eddy St.) and Twyckenham Dr., for water main construction
• U.S. 20 Bypass, South Bend – Lane restrictions in both directions on the Bypass between the U.S. 20 exit and the Indiana Toll Road exit, for road resurfacing
• SR 933, Mishawaka – SR 933 (Lincolnway) Bridge over Baugo Creek closed between County Line Road (Ash) and Capital Avenue, for bridge replacement
• I-94, Porter County (near Chesterton) – Lane restrictions in both directions on bridge over Beam Street, just east of U.S. 20 exit, for bridge deck replacement
• I-94, Porter County (near Portage) - Lane restrictions in both directions on bridge 1 mile east of Toll Road ramp, for bridge deck replacement
For a full list of road closures and projects, visit the INDOT facebook page.