UPDATE: Man surrenders to police following Mishawaka residential standoff

Mishawaka Police and local SWAT members spent nearly four hours on the scene of a barricaded individual in the 500 block of W. Broadway St., just northwest of Beutter Park.

Around 3:30 p.m., officers were dispatched to a "shots fired" call in the 1700 block of Homewood Ave. No one was injured in the incident, but police received information that the suspect had fled to a residence along the 500 block of W. Broadway St.

At the first sight of squad cars and police officers, the unidentified man ran into the home and barricaded himself.

A NewsCenter 16 reporter saw a hostage negotiator using a bull horn to communicate with the man: "Answer the phone, talk to our officer. If you're hurt we can help. Let me know if you hear me."

Police shot at least one round of tear gas into the structure, but the man didn't surrender. Finally around 7:30 p.m., police coerced him to stand down.

"The tear gas was to try to thwart him out earlier, that didn't work so they tried some more on the phone. They then shot some more tear gas and he came out," Mishawaka Police Department spokesman Lt. Tim Williams said.

A neighbor from the home next door, Sue Sobczak said she and her family were unaware of what was going down next door until a police officer approached her home.

"We didn't know anything until a cop knocked on my door and said we needed to evacuate, which we did. And they asked us to leave with our car, which we did," Sobczak said.

Her reaction, like many other neighbors was one of urgency.

"I'm thinking of the safety of my home that I provide for my children," Sobczak added, "I'm thinking of what he has done to create this atmosphere of fear and what people think of Mishawaka."

According to Sobczak, her next door neighbor and the alleged suspect in this case has been a problem for the neighborhood before. She says he has been known to use vulgar language with others, oftentimes screaming and yelling during disagreements.

At no point in time were hostages involved in the stand-off. The barricaded man was taken to a local hospital after inhaling a good amount of the tear gas.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 209014491 - wndu.com/a?a=209014491