Man taken to hospital following early morning fire

By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email

MISHAWAKA Space heaters may be to blame for a house fire that sent a man to the hospital early Thursday morning.

It started around 2a.m. in the 500 block of W 5th Street in Mishawaka, near the intersection with Wells.

“My roommate woke me up. He pounded on my door and made sure I got out of the house,” resident Greg Stouffer says. “When I opened my bedroom door there was smoke everywhere, that's all I know.”

Stouffer’s roommate, who alerted him to the fire, had to be taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

The men were renting the home. Gas service wasn't turned on for heat, so they were using space heaters. Whether those had anything to do with the fire remains unknown, as the official cause of the fire hasn't been determined.

Two cats that lived in the home made it out okay. The Humane Society stepped in to help take care of one of them.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234572441