Killing at Fort Wayne bar ruled self-defense

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press
The Allen County prosecutor

Photo from WANE-TV

FORT WAYNE Fort Wayne's first homicide of 2014 has been determined to be self-defense.

The Allen County prosecutor's office says no charges will be filed in the Jan. 19 shooting and killing of 32-year-old Damian Miller II.

WANE-TV reports that investigators found that a security guard at a northside bar shot Miller in self-defense after Miller struck him in the mouth with a broken beer bottle.

The statement from the prosecutor's office didn't say what started the fight. A friend of Miller's previously said the pair began fighting while the guard was trying to get everyone to leave at closing time.

Indiana's self-defense law doesn't require a person to retreat if the person reasonably believes force is justified.

As of July 7, Fort Wayne had seen eight homicides this year.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 268623682 - wndu.com/a?a=268623682