Fire investigators in Elkhart have determined what sparked a blaze two weeks ago that damaged a home on the city's northeast side.
It happened two weeks ago two at the corner of Osolo Road and Grover Street.
Officials say the owner's brother was in the basement smoking a cigarette on the couch, when he fell asleep, setting the house on fire.
The family and their three dogs escaped unharmed, but an exotic parrot that trapped in its cage died of smoke inhalation and toxic fumes.
Investigators say the house was in foreclosure and the family did not have insurance. About 25 percent of the structure was damaged in the blaze.