A home was severely damaged because of a late-morning fire Monday near New Carlisle.
Crews responded to the fire on the 7400 block of E. 900 North while about six miles away from New Carlisle.
The fire chief said the blaze was started by a wood burning stove.
The flames reached the ceiling of the house and ended up engulfing a quarter of the home. Fortunately, no one was home at the time.
“With the holidays, people use Christmas lights, trees and so forth, you always want to make sure that they're watered, and that you don't leave them unattended,” said Jeff Roseboom, chief of the New Carlisle Police Department. “You shouldn't leave lights on without someone being at home.”
Community members in the area are already providing support for the family displaced by the blaze.