Gas leak at Notre Dame causes evacuations

By: NewsCenter16 Staff Email
By: NewsCenter16 Staff Email

A minor gas leak at Notre Dame prompted evacuations on campus Friday afternoon.

It happened around 3 p.m. in the Debartolo quad near the Snite Museum.

Students, staff and construction workers were asked to leave the area as a precaution after a two-inch gas main was hit by a back hoe. Construction crews were digging while doing some renovation work near Debartolo Hall when they accidentally struck the line.

“(This was) kind of a typical construction accident,” said Dennis Brown, a Notre Dame spokesman. “Where the back hoe doing some work and then hit a gas line and then we get those occasionally around here and NIPSCO is on the scene looking to cap it as quickly as possible."

NIPSCO has since capped the leak and everyone has been allowed to return to the area. Crews had to shut down three other lines as they make repairs. There is no word yet on a restoration time.

No injuries or further damage was reported.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 216232321 - wndu.com/a?a=216232321