Garbage can sparks Clay Township garage fire

Garbage is blamed for turning part of a garage into a charred mess.

Around 9:45 p.m. Saturday, Clay Fire Territory was dispatched to a garage fire in the 17900 block of Cleveland Rd., just west of State Road 933.

Responding units arrived to find flames shooting from one wall of the structure. The advent of nearby hydrants allowed crews to gain control within a matter of minutes.

The relatively small blaze did not spread to a nearby home. There were also no injures.

Fire investigators believe plastic garbage cans stored near the garage, were the source of the fire. However, it's still unclear why or how the bins sparked.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185799491 - wndu.com/a?a=185799491
Gray Television, Inc.