Center For History
The RMG Foundry Building, formerly Dodge Manufacturing, has deeply embedded roots in Mishawaka.
According to the Center for History, Wallace Dodge founded the Dodge Manufacturing company in 1878. His business produced wood hardware tools, including the wood-split pulley.
By 1902, Dodge had grown to its sprawling 65 acre Mishawaka campus with 40 buildings. In 1967, the Reliance Electric Company purchased Dodge. It closed the plant in 1999, but new owners re-opened the facility shortly thereafter, under the name RMG Foundry. However a major loss in business caused RMG to shut down for good in 2006.
It turns out this is not the first fire in the company's 135-year history.
Back in 1881, one year after Dodge was formally incorporated; a lightning strike hit the original wood factory burned it to the ground. According to the Center for History, many buildings on the current site, were built immediately following Dodge's first blaze.