Eleven-month-old child dies after apartment fire

By: Newscenter 16 staff Email
By: Newscenter 16 staff Email

STURGIS, Mich. - An 11-month-old child is dead after an apartment fire in Sturgis early Sunday morning.

Fire crews arrived at the Gateway Village apartments just after 5:30 a.m. and were informed that an infant was still inside the unit where the fire originated.

Firefighters found the 11-month-old in a bedroom and performed CPR at the scene until an ambulance arrived.

The child was transported to the hospital but was later pronounced dead.

The fire reportedly started in the parent's bedroom, according to Sturgis Police. The parents woke up to flames on their bed. They were taken to the hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Residents were evacuated from the apartment building. Some will be allowed to return later today but others will have to find other places to stay.

A temporary shelter has been set up at the Sturges-Young auditorium. St. Joseph County Victim's Services is assisting displaced residents.

The Sturgis Fire Department and MSP State Fire Marshal are investigating the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 236931301 - wndu.com/a?a=236931301