Diamond Island man electrocuted while fixing appliance

In a bizarre accident, a Diamond Lake man was electrocuted while trying to fix an appliance.

It happened Sunday afternoon and the Cass County Sheriff's Department was called to the scene.

Around 3 o'clock police say Michael Koranda, 43, from Chicago was working on a dishwasher when his uncle found him and called for help.

He was pronounced dead at the scene. Koranda was a licensed electrician and working on the appliance when he was electrocuted.

Police say none of the circuit breakers blew at the time though.

This happened at one of the 90 homes on Diamond Island on Diamond Lake in Cass County. News of the accident spread quickly around the island and there was a somber mood Monday.

Three weeks ago Koranda's father, Ed, passed away unexpectedly also.

One neighbor says Michael was always willing to help fix things around the island. “Really really grand guy, he and his dad. If you needed something, they would come give you a hand. We were fortunate to have them live next door to us.”

Koranda was engaged and getting ready to tie the knot this fall.

He leaves behind his mother, 90-year-old grandmother, brother and several nieces and nephews.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 268948831 - wndu.com/a?a=268948831