Deadly Plymouth house fire serves as a reminder of the importance of smoke detectors


Sadly, a deadly house fire in Plymouth serves as a reminder of the importance of smoke detectors.

Sunday morning a young man died of smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say there were no smoke detectors found in the house.
Investigators believe if smoke alarms had been installed, everyone would have made it out alive.

At the Clay Fire Department, firefighters are gearing up for October's Fire Safety Month.

Typically any local department will hand out a free smoke alarms to those in need.

In some cases, they will also help you install them around your house.

Keep in mind, they are only good for ten years and they cost anywhere from five to twenty-five bucks.

Clay Fire Territory Dave Cherrone says they are very affordable. “Still to think in this day in age when they've been around since the early 60s and the price is down to where during the month of October you'll pay more for a bottle of pop.”

Cherrone says a few things to keep in mind to maintain your detector including changing the batteries, testing it twice a year, and dusting it three times a year.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 225098562 - wndu.com/a?a=225098562