Investigators say an Elkhart house fire may have been caused by a smoldering cigarette butt.
The fire started at a house located at Osolo Rd. and Grover St. in Elkhart, just before 12 p.m. on Wednesday,
The fire started in the basement and spread to the first floor, incurring an estimated $10,000 in damage. Officials say dogs were inside the home when the blaze broke out, but were all able to escape unharmed.
Now, the Red Cross is providing food, lodging and clothing for the family who lived in the house as the investigation continues.