Plymouth, Ind. Firefighters have determined the cause of a deadly house fire in Plymouth Sunday morning; they say it was accidental and electrical in nature.
Anthony Johnson, 21, of Walkerton died of smoke inhalation.
Two people ran back into the home to try and save him.
It happened around 5:30 a.m. in the 400 block of Alexander Street in Plymouth.
The homeowner, her grandsons and several of their friends were inside at the time.
Firefighters say an extension cord running from the garage to back of the house was plugged into a six prong power strip, managing many large devices like from a stereo to and computer. The extension cord had lost its coating over time and was underneath the couch.
The woman and several boys escaped, but realized someone was missing.
Two boys ran back inside the burning home to try and rescue Johnson.
According to the firefighters, there were no signs of any smoke detectors in the home. If there had been alarms present its very likely everyone would be alive today.
Plymouth Fire Department Division Chief John Pasley says, “If they had smoke detectors, once the fire was initiated and the smoke detectors had gone off, the young man could have had a chance to get out in a decent amount of time before it became involved.”
If someone hadn't been awake to wake others in the home, more people could have died.
A total of at least ten people were inside at the time.